Federal Department of Transportation (DOT) regulations require an evaluation by a Substance Abuse Professional (SAP) before an employee can return to a safety sensitive job when drug testing is positive for drugs and/or alcohol. The evaluation is required to determine the nature and extent of the person’s alcohol and/or substance use and to assist them in obtaining treatment, if necessary. I provide substance abuse assessment and referral services and we can perform the evaluation within two working days of the time you notify us of the positive screen. I am a Certified Substance Abuse Professionals (SAP) and evaluations fully comply with CFR-46 of the Department of Transportation regulations.
What If Further Treatment is Recommended?
If clinically appropriate, the SAP may recommend additional treatment or rehabilitation for the employee after the initial SAP assessment. The level of treatment may range from weekend educational programs on chemical dependency to inpatient treatment and rehabilitation. The employee will be responsible for any costs associated with treatment or rehabilitation. Whenever possible, referrals will be made to treatment providers who are reimbursable under the employee’s health insurance plan. Depending on the level of treatment and SAP recommendations, the employee may be returned to work following a negative urine drug screen/breath alcohol test and may continue to work during treatment if approved by the SAP.
What are the Advantages?
The Substance Abuse Professional Agreement provides a consistent, efficient process for the referral and assessment of employees with positive drug screen / breath alcohol test results while keeping you in compliance with federal DOT requirements at a minimal cost. This coordination of referrals saves you and your employee time and anxiety about how to proceed
Substance Abuse Professional (SAP) Services
We maintain a highly qualified, nation-wide network of professional service providers. Our SAPs meet our high standards for addictions specialists and are certified to complete assessments under the U.S. Department of Transportation regulations*.
SAP services includes:
- Direct access to a counsellor, 24-hours a day, 365 days a year, to address the immediate needs of clients with substance abuse problem.
- Client assessment by a qualified Substance Abuse Professional
- Client referral to community treatment or education program
- Client follow-up sessions with a SAP
- Ongoing counselling and support to prevent relapse
- Consultations with managers to answer questions about identification, confrontation, referral and support of employees with substance abuse problems
- Workplace consultations with a Substance Abuse Specialist
In addition, for regulated* workplaces, SAP services include:
- Consultations with the Program Administrator to answer questions about assessment, treatment and reporting
- SAP reports following assessment and completion of treatment or education
- Recommendations regarding drug/alcohol testing (where appropriate)
*In regulated workplaces, drug testing, assessment and documentation are mandated. Mandated workplaces include transportation companies with cross-border operations who must comply with U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) regulations, and other safety-sensitive workplaces.